Carlos Alcaraz, qualified for the US Open final: “Take my chance and enjoy the moment”

Home » Carlos Alcaraz, qualified for the US Open final: “Take my chance and enjoy the moment”
Carlos Alcaraz, qualified for the US Open final: “Take my chance and enjoy the moment”

“Here you are in the Grand Slam final for the first time in your career. What do you feel ?
It was amazing to me. I think I played very well against Frances (Tiafoe), which has evolved at a very high level in the last two weeks. It’s a great feeling to be in the final, to have won this match in 4:20. Physically, I feel very good. I’m a bit tired, of course, but I feel good. I’m just very, very happy. I think back to the child I was ten years ago who dreamed of the moment I am living. You have to pursue your dreams. Hard work is always rewarded. We can now see that all the work I have done is paying off.

In addition to fighting for your first Major title, you and Casper Ruud will each aim for the world number 1 spot
It’s both close and very far, isn’t it? It’s a Grand Slam final with world No. 1 on the line, something I’ve dreamed of since I was a kid. What to say ? For now, I want to savor this moment, my first Grand Slam final. I’ll think about the rest tomorrow (Saturday).

“I have more matches in five sets in the legs (than a year ago), I am more ready, physically and mentally”

19 years ago, your coach Juan Carlos Ferrero became world number 1 by qualifying for the US Open final (lost to Andy Roddick). Did he tell you about it?
We talked about it a lot, yes. He had beaten Agassi in the semi-finals to become world No. 1 here at the US Open. He told me how he had prepared for this match. I will do the same: I will take my chance. No matter what I’m fighting for, I’m going to take my chance and enjoy the moment.

What did you think of the atmosphere during this semi-final?
It was crazy. To have done that on the Arthur-Ashe, it’s great. I would say 70% of the audience was for Frances, but I only heard the other 30% (smile). It was crazy. The night sessions of the US Open, on the Arthur-Ashe, are incredible. It’s so special to play the US Open, especially in the night session. You are experiencing something rare. The crowd is amazing here. They love to watch big games. Their support is important. When I was little and I watched crazy matches on TV, I told myself that one day it would be my turn to be on the court.

A year ago at Flushing Meadows, you had to give up (in the quarter-finals against Félix Auger-Aliassime) after a series of marathon matches. This time, you come out victorious each time in these arm wrestling matches. What changed ?
I am more ready. Last year, I only played three Grand Slams before the US Open. And only one match in five sets. Now, I have more matches in five sets in the legs, I am more ready, physically and mentally. Since this US Open, there have been twelve months of intense work, indoors and on the court. But I would say it’s mostly mental. »

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.