The All Blacks raise their heads and win against South Africa in Johannesburg

Home » The All Blacks raise their heads and win against South Africa in Johannesburg
The All Blacks raise their heads and win against South Africa in Johannesburg

With this major success (23-35), four tries to two, obtained on Saturday in the den of the Springboks at Ellis Park in Johannesburg, the All Blacks have given new shine to their fern after three consecutive defeats. The crisis was brewing, coach Ian Foster and captain San Cane were in the hot seat, but there will be no revolution in New Zealand or severed heads.

The All Blacks proved that they knew how to react and that they had not lost their rugby overnight. However, clumsy and undisciplined, they waited twenty-four minutes before unleashing their first attack, a dazzling line from eighty meters concluded by a penalty goal signed Mo’Unga (26th), immediately followed by a corner try from the flanker Sam Cane (28th, 0-8), as a symbol.

They increased their lead thanks to their hooker Taukei’Aho, thrown like a bowling ball in front of the South African in-goal (33rd), a converted try from the sidelines. Led (0-15), the Springboks then brought in their replacements – in fact, the incumbents – namely the hooker Marx, the pillar Kitshoff and the third-line center Wiese, which boosted their pack and allowed, by ricochet, at the Am center to plant the first try of the reigning world champions (37th). With the successful transformation into a corner by Handré Pollard, then a penalty of more than sixty meters, left side, the South Africans reduced the gap (10-15) just before the break.

The Springboks thought they had the victory

In the second half, the pack bok began to weigh in front of the New Zealand in-goal (52nd-55th), without result. Am crossed the field alone (58th) to shift Mapimpi towards the try, but he was refused by the referee, Mr. Luke, for obstruction by Hendrikse. Outdistanced (13-20), the South Africans responded immediately as champions: Marx scratched a ball on the ground and Willemse triggered a very long skipped pass for Mapimpi, finally rewarded on his left wing (59th). The two teams were only separated by one point (20-21).

Pollard added a third goal (68th, 23-21) and the Boks thought they had the victory. But a staggering recovery initiated by Rieko Ioane streaked the field for the test of Havili (74th, 23-28), and the New Zealanders sealed this victory by Jordie Barrett in force (79th). Something to reassure their supporters, who were beginning to doubt them. This Saturday evening (9:05 p.m.), Argentina faces Australia in San Juan, as part of the second day of this Rugby Championship.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.