Just over two months before the opening of the tournament, the result seems final. According to a global survey carried out by YouGov for Amnesty International in fifteen countries, including France, among 17,477 people, more than two thirds (67%) of the adults questioned want their Federation to publicly take a position on respect for human rights in the Qatar, which is hosting the next World Cup (November 20-December 18). In France, this figure rises to 70%, as in Norway, which had in particular organized a national debate, in its authorities, on a possible boycott – finally dismissed – from the competition, in case his selection would have qualified. The president of the NFF, Lise Klaveness, had even challenged the leaders of FIFA and the Qatari organizing committee on the subject during the doha congressMarch 31.
The Amnesty poll is a new way to challenge the FFF on the subject, while its president, Noël Le Graët (80), never wanted to enter into the controversy on this sensitive file, with very political contours. After the draw of the tournament, the 1er April, in Doha, he said to himself “very happy that we are coming to play in Qatar”. “They made a lot of efforthad explained the Breton. The country has made enormous progress at the social level, by establishing a minimum wage (which represents the equivalent of 270 €). You can’t always compare to France, which has been a democracy for a long time. » The human cost – in suffering, abuse and death – of this World Cup, the first organized in the Middle East, is the subject of lively debate: tens of thousands of foreign workers have contributed to the construction of the infrastructure necessary for the organization of the tournament, since its controversial attribution to the small peninsula of the Gulf, on December 2, 2010.
“A real French exception” for Amnesty
“These 70% of people who want the FFF to take a stand (on respect for human rights in Qatar)it is a very strong message addressed to himexplains Lola Schulmann, advocacy officer at Amnesty France. There is a real French exception in the fact that we do not talk about it within the football authorities. This policy of the ostrich is not tenable. On our side, we will continue to maintain the pressure. » A meeting, several times postponed, had all the same taken place between the “3F” and Amnesty Franceon April 19, on these issues.
This international study also reveals that nearly three quarters (73%) of respondents – 71% in France – want FIFA to use the revenue generated by the next World Cup, which is counted in billions of euros, “to compensate the workers who suffered during the preparation for this tournament”, writes the NGO. This figure rises to 84% among those likely to watch at least one of the 64 matches in the competition. This idea is rooted in the compensation mechanism for victims set up after the Rana Plaza disaster, in April 2013, in Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh; the collapse of this building, which housed several thousand workers working for major Western brands, had caused the death of more than 1,100 people.
The minimum amount of this “compensation fund” claimed by Amnesty, with other human rights organizations (#PayUpFIFA campaign, launched last May), is 440 million dollars (around 440 million euros) . Amnesty International explains that FIFA, chaired by Gianni Infantino (who lives partly in Qatar), told him “study this proposal” but that there is “so far not responded publicly”.
At the beginning of May, during a conference in Los AngelesInfantino launched: “When you give someone work, even in difficult conditions, you give them dignity and pride”. The boss of the world body had also insisted on the introduction of a minimum wage in Qatar. The small emirate’s Ministry of Labor has already acknowledged that it “still had work to do”while explaining that“no other country has made so much progress on labor reforms in such a short time. »